Volodymyr Zelensky, Ukraine’s president, said Wednesday night that the Russian invasion is at a “turning point,” as Russian forces have launched attacks on the Donbas region of Ukraine while bombing Kyiv and other major cities.
In a televised address, Zelensky said he spoke with President Biden about the need for more military assistance for Ukrainian forces, stating that there are ongoing negotiations with the Russian government but adding, “these are still words.”
- He thanked Biden for pledging an additional $500 million in U.S. aid but said if “we really are fighting for freedom and in defense of democracy together, then we have a right to demand help in this difficult turning point,” according to an AP translation.
- The president thanked Biden for offering an addition of $500 million in U.S. aid but stated that if “we really are fighting for freedom and in defense of democracy together, then we have a right to demand help in this difficult turning point,” an AP translation states.
- He continued, “Tanks, aircraft, artillery systems. Freedom should be armed no worse than tyranny.”
Zelensky requested armored vehicles and tighter sanctions against Russia from Australian officials during his address to the country’s Parliament on Thursday via a video link. He thanked Australia for all the support it had already provided.
Meanwhile, Zelensky revealed that he had recalled Ukraine’s ambassadors to Georgia and Morocco in his national address.
In addition, during his national address, Zenelnsky announced the recall of Ukraine’s ambassadors to Georgia and Morocco.
- He stated, “With all due respect: if there are no weapons, no sanctions, no restrictions for Russian business — please look for another job,” implying that they failed to compel those nations to take stronger action against Moscow.
In the sixth week of the war, Ukrainian officials reported that Russian forces had intensified military operations against Kyiv and Chernihiv despite promises to cut back military actions to reach a peace agreement with Ukraine.
- According to a transcription of the speech posted on the presidential website, Zelensky stated in his national address that there was “an accumulation of Russian troops for new strikes in Donbas,”
- Oleh Synyehubov, a Kharkiv official, reported via Telegram that Russian troops had been heavily bombarding the area in northeastern Ukraine during the past 24 hours.
- While heavy fighting went on in Mariupol, Ukrainian troops remain in control of the central part of the port city, the U.K. Department for Defense said on Thursday in an intelligence update.
The International Red Cross announced on Twitter that their teams were slated to evacuate residents from Mariupol on Friday.
- Ukraine and Russia were to resume negotiations via video link on Friday, said Ukrainian officials, according to AP News.
When it comes to escorting VIPs, the police play a critical role. Would you like to know what role does police play in escorting VIPs? Read our blog to find out.